22 OTHERS HONORED AT NOPGA’s ANNUAL FALL MEETING
Steve Parker, former Northern Ohio PGA President and Director of Golf at Portage Country Club, was inducted into the Northern Ohio PGA Hall-of-Fame during the organization’s fall meeting on Monday at Westfield Country Club’s Blair Center.
Parker, currently the golf instructor at Portage, was one of several people recognized as the Northern Ohio Section honored 11 PGA Professionals and one non-professional, as well as 10 Junior Players-of-the-Year.
Parker, who served as NOPGA President in 2020 and 2021 and Vice President in 2018-19, has held numerous positions throughout his professional career and currently is the PGA District 5 Director. He began his professional career in 1996 after twice earning all-Mid-American Conference honors while playing at Kent State, where he earned a finance degree.
His playing career has been just as stellar, beginning with the Ohio Junior Championship in 1985 and including the 2022 Senior Toledo Open, the 2017 Denny Shute Senior Match Play, the 1996 NOPGA Assistant’s Championship, as well as numerous stroke-play events. He was a five-time qualifier to the PGA Professional Championship and a two-time qualifier to the PGA Senior Professional Championship.
Other NOPGA members recognized were:
* Justin Pollock, Head Professional at Toledo Country Club, Merchandiser of the Year – Private.
* Trent Maxwell, Manager and head fitter at Windmill Golf Center, Merchandiser of the Year – Public.
* Mary Suitca, Head Professional at Tannenhauf Golf Club, Youth Player Development Award.
* Mike Pickett, Director of Player Development at Kirtland Country Club, Player Development Award.
* Cory Kumpf, Director of Golf at Brookside Country Club, Bill Strausbaugh Award.
* Drew Pierson, Owner of The Clubhouse CLE, Professional Development Award.
* Todd Casabella, Director of Instruction at Barrington Country Club, Teacher of the Year.
* Jimmy Hanson, Fairlawn Country Club, Assistant Professional of the Year.
* Barry Friedman, Director of Golf at Valley of the Eagles Golf Club, The Patriot Award.
* Brian Tolnar, Director of Golf, Mill Creek MetroParks, Golf Professional of the Year.
* Devon Holden, Sun Mountain, Ahead Sales Rep of the Year-Soft Goods.
* Andrew Schmitt, Calaway Golf, Sales Rep of the Year-Hard Goods.
NOPGA Junior Players of the Year
The NOPGA Junior Players of the Year recognized were Aurora’s Gracyn Vidovic (16-19 Girls), Broadview Heights’ Aryan Ahlawat (16-19 Boys), Solon’s Serena Wu (11-15 Girls), Hudson’s Dexter James (14-15 Boys), Wadsworth’s Ray Koeberle (11-15 Boys), Brunswick’s Emma Gonzalez-Ribble (12-16 Girls), Mansfield’s Jacob Snay (12-16 Boys), Rocky River’s Coleson Paez (10-11 Boys), Solon’s Chloe Wu (8-11 Girls), and Canfield’s Preston Tolnar (8-9 Boys).